Friday, July 18, 2008

Vegan Blueberry Ice Dream
















Blueberry Ice Dream

2 c. organic unsweetened soy milk
2 c. organic blueberries
3 tbsp organic agave
2 tbsp lemon, juiced

In a large skillet, heat blueberries, agave, and lemon juice until the blueberries are soft. Blend the mixture with a hand blender till smooth and slowly add soy milk. (you can strain the mixture to remove the blueberry skins, but the skins have tons of antioxidants, so i keep them in.)

Cool mixture in refrigerator for 1 hour.
Add mix to ice cream maker to manufacturers instruction.

This is a delicious fresh summer treat. I am seeing blueberry ice cream & gelato all over the place. This recipe at Coconut & Lime looked delicious and inspired me to try a vegan version of my own. I am still having difficulty using soy milk in the ice cream maker. It freezes like ice milk, instead of ice cream, but it is what it is and it is still yummy. I read recently that using coconut milk yields a creamier texture, I will try that next time.

5 comments:

Ivy said...

DANG! Way to crank it up a noch!
I am speechless. :)
The picture is so profesh too!
I mean all your other entries are amazing too. But, this one is just...so great. I want to eat that ice cream right off the screen. haha!

Rachel said...

Hey Jenn- I am glad you enjoyed it. Coconut milk does make a great base for vegan ice cream.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

What a gorgeous looking ice cream!

Anonymous said...

I came here because it looks wonderful. I always loved ice milk, it seemed not as heavy as ice cream. Go you.

Jenny Grace said...

I think I just got talked into buying an ice cream maker?