Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Summertime & the Livin's Easy







I make fish taco's at least once a month. I make them all different ways, but this Tropical Mango Mahi Mahi Taco just tastes like summer. The refreshing mango salsa is what makes this taco a hit on hot summer days.

Tropical Mango Fish Taco's
mahi mahi (or any white fish)
2 tbsp organic olive oil
1 tsp chili powder
1 organic lime, juiced
corn tortilla
green cabbage, shredded
organic avocado
mango salsa *see recipe below
sweet chili sauce

Marinate mahi mahi in olive oil, chili powder and lime for 30 minutes. Pan sear mahi mahi for 5 minutes on each side. Heat tortilla's in oven on low heat (200 degrees) for 5 minutes. Place mahi mahi inside tortilla on a bed of cabbage. Add 2 slices of avocado followed by a generous amount of mango salsa. Drizzle sweet chili sauce. Enjoy!

Mango Salsa
1 ripe organic mango
1/4 cup organic cilantro
1/4 cup organic black beans
1 TBSP fresh ginger, pressed
1/8 cup red onion, finley chopped
1/2 organic lime, juiced
*play around with the measurements to make this salsa how you like it. Just don't put too much ginger or the flavor takes over.

Cut mango into small squares. My Stepmom, Grace, once taught me to slice a grid on the mango half. It's an easy way to cut a mango. Toss mango with chopped cilantro, chopped onion, and black beans. To press the ginger, I use a garlic press. Mix in the pressed ginger and squeeze half a lime over the mango salsa. Stir together.

As a side dish for these taco's I made a Sweet Potato Salad. Sweet Potato's are my new favorite thing! I'm obsessed with sweet potato fries at restaurants. At home, I can't seem to reproduce a good sweet potato fry without a deep frier, so at home, I settle for roasted sweet potatoes. I love the way they taste when they are roasted and crisp. I made this salad last Thanksgiving and it was a hit. I've been thinking about making it for my Graduation BBQ Party this weekend, so I wanted to try it out tonight to make sure I had the recipe down.
It is actually VERY similar recipe to the mango salsa.












Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
serves 2
4 c. sweet potatoes
2 tbsp organic olive oil
1 cup organic black beans
1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup organic cilantro, chopped
1 lime, juiced
feta cheese, optional but recommended
salt & pepper

*again, play around with the portions. I never really measure this stuff, I just throw in what seems like the right amount. You want the sweet potatoes to be the "star" or the dish and the black beans, cilantro, and onions to be the "chorus."

To roast sweet potatoes, Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Skin sweet potatoes and cut into 1" squares. Mix sweet potato squares with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread onto a baking sheet and roast in over for 30-40 minutes, until sweet potatoes are browned and crispy. You may want to stir sweet potatoes half way through roasting. Mix roasted sweet potatoes with cilantro, black beans, and red onion. Squeeze lime juice and mix into salad. Sprinkle with feta cheese. (I'm dairy free right now, but when I serve this for guests I always use feta.)

HAPPY SUMMER EVERYBODY!

2 comments:

Molly Pants said...

So... I feel like I need to make this entire meal now. I think I've gotten fish tacos every time I've been to a mexican restaurant in the past year- but I always seem to blank on how to make it more than fish in a tortilla when I try it at home. Super excited! LOVE YOUR BLOG!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that Stepmom Grace is one smart cookie, or mango, or one smart mango cookie. Or a mango head. But not a cookie head, that would be weird. But so is mango head.


xoxox